Basil and Mozzarella Bites
Wontons make great hors d’oeuvres – they’re warm, delicious, and work well as a finger food. Don’t judge a book by its cover though!
- 1 package of Ovoline mozzarella (about 15, cut in half to make 30)
- 1 egg
- 15 fresh basil leaves (plus more for garnish)
- 30 sheets wonton wrapper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Whisk the egg and 1 tbsp of water together with a fork.
- Wash and dry the basil leaves, then cut them length wise into little strips.
- On a wonton wrapper, place half an Ovoline.
- Sprinkle basil on top.
- Brush the outside of the wonton with the egg wash. Press ends together and tuck the ends underneath. Let rest for about a minute.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Do not overheat or add excess oil.
- Place the wontons in the pan and cook for about a minute, until golden brown on each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with tomato sauce.
Love cooking with basil? You should try growing them too! Try out our Basil Collection for a wide variety of basil herbs.