Tomato Pie Recipe
Tomato pie is not your average kind of pie — it’s a savory pie that’s layered with cheese, juicy ripe tomatoes, and fresh garden herbs that come together in a flaky crust. Call it pizza’s cousin, if you will. Both are equally delicious and if you haven’t tried tomato pie, then you have no idea what you’re missing out on. Here’s how to make this mouth-watering dish.
What You Need for Tomato Pie
- 1 pie crust single
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (divided)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grape tomatoes , halved
How To Make Tomato Pie
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Peel the tomatoes and slice them into thin slices (about 1/4″ thick).
3. Lightly salt the tomato slices and spread over a double layer of paper towels to dry.
4. Poke the pie crust with a fork. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese on the bottom and bake for 10 minutes until it’s lightly browned. Cool completely.
5. Combine 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese in a small bowl.
6. Season the tomato slices with garlic powder, oregano, and black pepper. Layer 1/2 of the tomato slices, 1/2 of the cheese mixture and 1/2 of the basil. Repeat layers. Top it off with the halved grape tomatoes.
7. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup mayonnaise. Put it over the grape tomato mixture.
8. Reduce the heat of the oven to 350 degrees F and bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Best served hot.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Check out more of our tomato recipes here. Or maybe you’re ready to take the next step and grow your own tomatoes and herbs? Take a look at our Herb Starter Kit and Mini Fruit and Veggie Starter Kit (coming soon) and start your farm-to-table journey in the comfort of your own home!