Vegan Sweet Basil Gnocchi with Mushroom Ragu
This recipe is a delight! Roasting the vegan gnocchi in olive oil and adding the fresh finely chopped basil leaves provides a boost of flavor. Not only that, the mushroom ragu is a great combination to serve with sweet basil gnocchi. Just remember to not overcrowd the pan when cooking the mushrooms, because the key to great flavor is to roast the mushroom well.
The sweet basil gnocchi tastes even better when you use fresh homegrown basil. If you don’t have any on hand right now, check out the Culinary Classics Window Garden Kit for next time!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
For the Gnocchi:
1/2 pound(250g) potatoes, boiled or baked
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
For Sweet Basil Gnocchi:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 handful fresh basil leaves
For the Mushroom Ragu:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound(250g) mushroom of your choice, sliced
3 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
1/2 cup wine
1/2 cup vegetable stock
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
To make Sweet Basil Gnocchi:
- Grate the boiled potatoes. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and mix well. Add flour little at a time and gently knead until it forms a dough.
- Divide into four parts and roll each piece into a rope about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 1-inch pieces and roll each gnocchi against a fork and transfer onto a lightly floured tray.
- Add gnocchi to salted boiling water and once it floats to the surface let it cook for additional 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the gnocchi carefully with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Heat about one tablespoon of oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the gnocchi and finely chopped basil leaves and toss till the gnocchi is slightly brown.
To make Mushroom Ragu:
- Add three tablespoons oil in a skillet and place on medium-high heat.
- Add mushroom in a single layer and cook till browned and roasted.
- Add shallots, garlic, and thyme and cook till its fragrant.
- Now add wine and simmer till it evaporates.
- Add 1/2 cup vegetable stock and simmer for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and pour ragu over sweet basil gnocchi.
- Garnish with fresh basil.