Mint and Sweet Potato Curry
Fresh mint helps keep this delicious curry light and fresh. Add in some peppers or cherry tomatoes too, if you have some to spare.
Servings: 4 small bowls
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1 ½-inch chunks, about 3 large
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pulse mustard seeds and fennel seeds in a spice mill or coffee grinder until roughly ground. Alternatively mash in a mortar and pestle.
- Swirl olive oil in a large skillet, add garlic, curry powder and the ground seeds and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, vegetable broth and salt, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes, cover and return to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a brisk simmer, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat then stir in mint, cilantro, cashews and lime juice. Serve.