Chickpeas are so much more than just hummus. They’re high in protein, delicious as a side, and it’s super easy to stash some in the pantry. With a little extra planning you can also get them dried and just soak them prior to use.
- 30 ounces garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas) (2 15-ounce cans)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them between two clean towels or paper towels and gently pat dry, removing as much moisture as you can.
- Toss the dried chickpeas with the olive oil and salt.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a silicon baking mat lined baking sheet
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the beans are starting to take on a little color and get dry. Turn off the oven and leave the beans in the oven to continue drying out to your desired crunchiness, checking every 10-15 minutes.
- Put the cooked chickpeas in a small bowl. Juice 1/2 lemon into the beans and add the oregano and garlic powder. Toss to coat.