Bring back the summertime with a refreshing mango dessert! This recipe combines a classic comfort food with exotic flavors for a sweet treat that’s enjoyable anytime of the year.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¾ cup coconut sugar, divided
- 1 14-ounce can unsweetened lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Thai basil leaves
- 3 whole mangoes peeled and sliced into cubes
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, water, arborio rice, and ½ cup of coconut sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy. Stir the pot often and scrape down the sides and bottom.
- While the rice cooks, add the can of coconut milk and the remaining ¼ cup coconut sugar to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low until the sugar has dissolved. Be careful not to boil the mixture. Remove from heat and stir in the Thai basil leaves. Place a lid on top and let the basil steep in the milk for 10 minutes. Strain out and discard the leaves, reserving the infused milk.
- Once the rice mixture is thick and creamy, pour the infused milk into the rice mixture.
- Heat on low and stir until the mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm, topping with mango. You can also chill the rice pudding for 6 hours before serving it cold, if desired.
There are so many things you can do with basil! Try growing them with our Sweet Basil Seeds and explore the many wonders of this versatile herb.