We tried and tested every microgreens kit we could get our hands on when we were developing this product and set out to address the shortcomings of the other options. What makes this kit unique is:
- It's size. We opted for smaller trays that yield 1-2 servings at a time, and reduce the inevitable wastage the results from using large grow trays in a small household. 3 individual trays allows you to stagger their starts, ensuring you can enjoy more variety and with maximum freshness.
- The materials. We opted for a premium bamboo-fiber PLA plastic. Although this material costs us 3-4 more than the alternatives, we felt this was worth it to keep plastic out of landfills. This material has a ceramic-like feel. Other kits charge an extra $30-40 for a "premium" grow tray. For ours, they're included at no extra cost.
- Self-watering. We have 2 patents pending on this design. The grow mats are not only organic, compostable, and 100% plant-based, but they also help the seeds water themselves.
It's also worth noting that at the company level:
- We have the best refund/replacement policy in the industry ("Any time, for Any Reason"), and
- We are also the World's First (and only) Carbon Negative Gardening Company
- 3 x Grow Trays. 4 x 4" ea (or 4 x 12" stacked next to each other). Self-watering, dishwasher-safe, and made from bamboo fiber biodegradable PLA.
- 3 x Germination Lids. Made from recyclable PET.
- 12 x Grow mats. Made from 100% compostable plant fiber. Refills sold separately.
- 4 x Packets Seeds. 100% Organic and each containing enough for 3 harvests - i.e. 12 total. Refills sold separately.
- 1 x Guide Book.
- 1 x Free 156-page eBook download.
- Measuring spoon
Depending on the stage of development of an edible plant we give it a different name. Sometimes we eat them as seeds (grains), some as right after they germinate (sprouts), and if we let them grow a little longer they become microgreens. Microgreens are typically harvested after they have formed a pair of starter leaves, though sometimes they’ve also just started to put out their “adult” leaves. Another term you’ll see for them is “shoots” – which basically translates to “large microgreen” and is used for plants where the seedlings are larger, like peas and beans.
You can learn more here.
Microgreens are best eaten raw, 7-10 days after you 'plant' them. They are easily incorporated into most meals. For more information and some more practical tips click here.
- Incredibly healthy. They contain up to 40x the nutrient density of their adult counterparts
- Easy to grow. No experience necessary, and not much light required. They can also be grown year-round as long as you don't let them get too cold
- Fast to harvest. Typically you'll be harvesting and enjoying them 7-10 days after setting them up.
- Fun. Because they grow so quickly you'll really notice the progress from day to day. Other edible plants, by contrast, take much longer to mature.
We like to categorize them as follows:
- Microgreens with a Mild Flavor
- Microgreens with a Spicy Flavor
- Herbs that can be grown as Microgreens, and
- Microgreens Shoots
they are all delicious, all edible, and you can learn more about each of them here.
Refunds & Returns
All Urban Leaf products are backed by our Green Thumb Guarantee (we want more than anything to make a successful gardener out of you!) If you are not satisfied with our products, or cannot get them to work, please contact us for a refund or replacement.
reviews for Microgreens Growing Kit
We loved watching our greens grow and couldn't believe how great they tasted and how easy it was! :)
Wonderful kit for someone who does not have a green thumb. Easy to assemble and eagerly anticipating the sprouting! Only reason for the 4 stars is the box came with seeds all over the place. The packets came apart at the seams. No way to sort those tiny seeds so I have a variety in each container. Would have liked to be able to try each different type of microgreen. Ordered through Amazon if that makes any difference
My order came damaged and it was quickly replaced. To ease my angsts of growing microgreens in this fashion (vs. sprouts in jars), Urban Leaf sent me a video with step by step instructions. This is a full service operation and I am excited to get started!